Thursday 7 March 2013

Day Twenty-Three

I am really enjoying this stretch of beautiful weather! It's not warm by any means but it's not below zero either! Nobody stopped to talk to me today but quite a number of people waved.

After I was finished my shift I drove to the coffee shop to grab a quick lunch and buy some coffee for work. As I was placing my order the owner, who saw me at the hospital a few days ago, asked me what this 40 Days thing was about.

All of a sudden I felt like the world stopped. There were about 5 people crowded around the cash register and in the line up and I was sure every single one was waiting to hear what I would say. I mentally kicked myself -- how could I act so bold and brash at the hospital with that big sign hanging around my neck but now I was choking? That bible verse from Matthew 10:33 flitted across my memory -- "But he that shall deny me before men, I will also deny him before my Father who is in heaven." So I plunged in and said, "40 Days for Life is a 40 day prayer campaign against abortion." The owner smiled and didn't bat an eyelash. The lady behind me didn't start shrieking at me. The cashier took my money and gave me my change.

One thing I've learned over the years, no matter what the issue is, is that about 10% of the people will actively oppose you, 10% will stand up with you, and 80% are just content with the status quo.

Lord God, we confess that in You we
live and move and have our being.
Because You are, we are.
May we find grace from You to affirm
the being of every human and may we
labor to make this truth known to the
world around us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment